One day Jesus left the crowds to pray alone. Only his disciples were with him, and he asked them, “Who do people say I am?” “Well,” they replied, “some say John the Baptist, some say Elijah, and others say you are one of the other ancient prophets risen from the dead.” Then he asked them, “But who do you say I am?” Peter replied, “You are the Messiah (Christ) sent from God!” LUKE 9:18-20 NLT
To share about Jesus:
I must know who Jesus is
Then he said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” And Peter answered, “The Christ of God.” LUKE 9:20 ESV
I must know why Jesus came to earth
The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! JOHN 1:29 ESV
For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God’s glorious standard. Yet God, in his grace, freely makes us right in his sight. He did this through Christ Jesus when he freed us from the penalty for our sins. For God presented Jesus as the sacrifice for sin. People are made right with God when they believe that Jesus sacrificed his life, shedding his blood. … ROMANS 3:23-25 NLT
This is what the LORD says: “Cursed are those who put their trust in mere humans, who rely on human strength and turn their hearts away from the LORD. JEREMIAH 17:5 NLT
I must be able to share what Jesus has done for me
So for the second time they called in the man who had been blind and told him, “God should get the glory for this, because we know this man Jesus is a sinner.” “I don’t know whether he is a sinner,” the man replied. “But I know this: I was blind, and now I can see!” JOHN 9:24-25 NLT
Why are you a Christian?
What did Jesus do for you?
Why do you go to Church?
I must lovingly share what I believe Jesus can do for others
Live wisely among those who are not believers, and make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be gracious and attractive so that you will have the right response for everyone. COLOSSIANS 4:5-6 NLT
To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. 1 CORINTHIANS 9:22 NIV
I must love people
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. JOHN 3:16-17 NIV
I must listen to people
My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry. JAMES 1:19 NIV
I must do it despite my fears
Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, EPHESIANS 6:19 NLT
Personal Reflection Guide
Find a quiet place where you can clear your mind and emotions. Take a few slow, deep breaths to help you still yourself. Invite God into this time, asking Him to guide your thoughts and quiet your feelings. When you are ready, reflect on your experiences in sharing your faith. As you reflect, what thoughts and feelings come to mind? If there is anything you need to confess, such as succumbing to fear, inaction, or a reluctance to share the gospel, confess that now. Allow God’s grace to cover you in these areas, and ask Him for the strength, wisdom, and courage to step into future opportunities to share your faith. Next, ask God to show you who He wants you to share your faith with and what to share with them. Ask Him to give you an opportunity this week to share with this person. Close your time by praising God that He loves this person and wants them saved. Thank Him for how He has changed your life, and thank Him in advance for the courage and guidance He will give as you share your story with others.
- People have all kinds of different responses when asked: Who is Jesus? Why do you think the answer to this question is so important to Jesus?
- How has the brokenness of the world impacted you this week?
- Read Jeremiah 17:5 (NLT). Many people believe they are good enough on their own. How does relying on your own strength play out for you and others?
- Read John 9:24-25 (NLT). As you reflect on your own story, how has Jesus changed your life?
- The world no longer believes in the authority of the Bible, but if they know you, they might see Jesus–and people should be able to meet Jesus before they decide to reject Him. In what specific ways can you reflect Jesus to those He has placed around you?
- NEXT STEPS: Who did God lay on your heart this weekend to share Jesus with? What do you need specific prayer for as it relates to sharing the gospel with that person? Share specifically with your group, and pray together that God will show up in that conversation. Then ask each other about it next week!