Personal Reflection Guide
Take a few moments to slow down, offering to Jesus any burdens from the day. Prayerfully invite God into this time, asking Him to help you be real with yourself and Him in this moment. What percentage of your time do you spend focusing on what you have versus what you don’t have? Ask God to show you the blessings you’re missing out on by focusing on the blessings someone else has. Is there anything you need to eliminate, or any practice you need to add in order to compare less? Next, take a few minutes to write down as many things as you can think of that you are grateful for. Focus specifically on your relationships: if married, list things you love about your spouse. If you have kids, list qualities of theirs that you love and want to affirm. Extend this “gratitude list” to those material things and life experiences God has blessed you with. Close your time with a simple prayer of thanks to God. Share your list with your group if you feel comfortable.
- REAL WITH SELF: What would you consider your level of joy in your life on a scale from 1-5? If you struggle with joy, when have you let comparison steal your joy?
- REAL WITH GOD: When have you received something you desired for a long time, only to find out that it did not satisfy you? What do you think God was trying to teach you?
- REAL WITH SELF: What barriers are preventing you from becoming the best version of yourself? What could you do to begin removing those barriers?
- REAL WITH GOD: What keeps you from being fully present? What might God have for you as you work on staying more present with what’s right in front of you (relationships, circumstances, possessions)?
- REAL WITH OTHERS: Our best selves are meant to bless others; what is a relationship you sense you need to invest more in? What is the first step you can take this week to do this?
- TAKE ACTION: Read PHILIPPIANS 4:18 NLT. What does your practice of being thankful look like? Share with God and your group some things you’re grateful for in your life. Then, take some time this week to let your spouse, kids, and/or close friends know what qualities of theirs you’re grateful for.