Personal Reflection Guide
Find a place in your home where you feel the most relaxed, close your eyes, and focus on your breathing. Let the responsibilities of your day take a step back as you quiet yourself to spend time with God. Don’t rush it, but wait until your mind is ready and open to give God your full attention. In Genesis 1:27, we see how God created human beings in his image, both male and female. The Bible spends a lot of time illustrating feminine qualities— the book of Proverbs is filled with them! Because God himself has these qualities and we were created in his image, we too can possess them. Hard-working (Proverbs 31:17), charitable (Proverbs 31:20), strong (Proverbs 31:25), wise (Proverbs 31:26)— which of these do you possess? Which of these do you wish to acquire or refine? Spend some time reflecting on the scripture shared in this week’s sermon and ask God to reveal which qualities he would like to reveal in you. Be honest and open in your reflections, bringing your findings humbly to God. It might be a good idea to list or journal these thoughts. Dedicate some time in prayer, asking God to refine your character over time, and periodically check back on your list to see how God has helped cultivate these qualities in you. They won’t look the same in every person, but how has he helped you make them uniquely your own? Share with someone your findings and ask for some input in the areas you’re still working on.
- What have you been learning about God or yourself lately in your personal Bible reading time? What stood out to you this week?
- What is one thing that you remember learning from your mom (or mom figure) growing up that you are thankful for, and why does it mean so much to you?
- Read Titus 2:4. Regardless of your age or gender, who are you training right now, and who is training you? Of the two, which needs more attention, and what is a practical thing you can do about it?
- Read Proverbs 14:1. What are some of the specific things that you do to build your home up, and what are some of the things you do to tear it down?
- Read Genesis 2:18. In what ways is loneliness showing up in your life, and in what specific ways is it not good for you?
- Who do you need to invite into your life to help you combat loneliness, and what do you need to share with them?